Thursday, May 19, 2011

Love Knots: A Tutorial

I love Love Knots, (which are sometimes called "Solomon's Knots", "Double Love Knots," or "True Lover's Knots") but I will be the first to admit they can be somewhat challenging. I tried several times to figure out how to make them by following written instructions in old crochet books, but could never get them quite right. 
It was only when I was faced with writing a pattern that included Love Knots that I actually learned how to make them. Another technical editor in the Annie's Attic Editorial Department, Donna Jones, patiently showed me how to make them. Once I got the  hang of them, I was hooked, and for the next several years I turned out dozens of designs with love knots in them.
They really are simple, once you understand how they work.
I did these photos several years ago, and while they show me working into an already established base of double love knots (and good grief, did I ever need a manicure!) the process for making the stitch is the same even if you are working into a row or round of another type of stitch or a foundation chain. Each love knot or double love knot begins with a sc. Place this beginning sc in the stitch or ch your pattern tells you to (some instructions include the sc as a part of the stitch; others do not.)


Work a sc in the stitch specified in your pattern. To begin the love knot, pull up a loop the length specified in your pattern, usually 1/4" to 1/2" (this makes the "long loop");
yarn over, keeping the third strand the same length as the long loop; pull through long loop.

Insert hook between the long loop and the third strand; yarn over, pull through.

Yarn over, pull through two loops on hook.

A completed Love Knot. Repeat the first three steps from this point to make a Double Love Knot.

A Double Love Knot.

When working into a double love knot, insert your hook into the sc at the center of the stitch.
Here are a few tips on working love knots (which are abbreviated 'lk' or 'dlk' for double love knots):
1: The most important thing is to keep your tension even. It may seem awkward at first, but with a little practice you will soon be able to make your stitches uniform in size.
2: When turning rows of dlk, work 3 single love knots at the beginning of the row and sc into the center of the first dlk of the previous row.
3: When working rounds of dlk, work a single lk at the beginning of the round, then sc into the center of the first dlk of the previous round. This will bring you into position to begin the next round.
4: To increase or to turn a corner when working rounds of dlk, work (sc, dlk, sc) into the center of a dlk or  the corner st or space of the previous round.

If you have been intimidated by love knots, I hope you will give them a try. They really are one of the most beautiful of all crochet stitches.

7 comments:

byhooks4u said...

You know when I first learned this stitch I had a hard time making them all the same size. I have learned that all my fingers are different sizes..so If I need like say half and inch I pull the thread up to the scar on my middle finger..seems to work for most of the time :) Have a great weekend!

Ann said...

What a clever way of measuring the loops, Vikki!!!

CrochetBlogger said...

Looks great. I love this stitch but have always done it using very large loops so this version of smaller loops is really intriguing. Beautiful.

Lulica con cariƱo said...

Hermoso es el punto gracias por el tutorial, feliz fin de semana,
Lulica

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ann said...

Yes, I do read all of the comments left, and I will delete any comments which are not relevant to the post or site (not crochet related.)

crochethuahua said...

I love love knots, too. They sort of remind me of hairpin (maltese) lace. I usually just eyeball the length or measure them by the length of the first joint of my index finger.